If wounds are kept exposed for a long time then infections might arise and this is why on time wounddressing is very much essential. This kind of dressing is often termed as surgical dressing. The wounds need to be dressed properly so that coming out of blood can be prevented. Sterile-dressing is the most preferred option as in this case wounds are covered after applying antiseptic medicines.
These medicines not only prevent blood from coning but also play a great role in avoiding infections. Sometimes, medicines are also applied for reducing swelling pain to some extent. Clinical dressing of wounds can be of varied types and thus the medical expert will choose the right one as per your wound nature.
- Both wound healing and granulation can be promoted.
- Unwanted wound contamination can be prevented.
- Acute comfort is provided.
- Aesthetic sense can be promoted.
- Medication is being applied to wounds.
- Wound is supported ad immobilized.
- Wound drainage can be prevented.
- Dry environment is offered for preventing exposure towards infections or micro-organisms.
Steps involved in surgical-dressing:
- Patient needs to be comfortably positioned first exposing dressing-site.
- Dressing-pack needs to be opened for covering the wounds.
- Extra cotton-ball needs to be taken for covering larger wounds.
- Cleaning-solution should be taken within dressing-cup for applying the same easily over wounds.
- The pack is to be covered without inner-layer contamination.
- Outer dressing needs to be removed for placing dressing-mackintosh.
- Adherent adhesive can be removed with ether.
- One layer of dressing should be removed in case of wound drain-out.
- Surgical hand-washing is necessary to perform.
- Wound contamination can be prevented by wearing gloves.
- Cotton-balls need to be lifted with thump-forceps and those forceps should be dropped into a cleanings-solution afterwards.
- If the wounded area is not cleaned thoroughly then it might get exposed towards an increased infection chance.
- Only medicated gauge-pieces are to be used in this regard. These gauge-pieces need to be nicely covered with dry ones for enhancing the protection-level.
- Pads can be applied especially for larger injuries.
- Used gloves are to be discarded.
- Dressing should be secured with strong adhesive bandages.
These are the few essential steps that are involved in dressing wounds. Sometimes, these dressing steps are needed for conducting Slipped disc treatment at home in a comfortable manner.
- Hydrogel: Infected, excessively burn, necrotic and painful wounds can be covered with Hydrogel-dressing.
- Hydrocolloid:venous or pressure ulcers and moderately drained injuries demand for hydrocolloid-dressing.
- Collagen: Large wounds like high-degree burns, surgical wounds, transplant-sites, bed-sores, ulcer and stalled or chronic injuries can be dealt with collagen-dressing.
- Alginate: High to moderate wounds and pressure or venous ulcers are in need of alginate-dressing.
- The patient should take some rest for sometime rather than immediately rushing towards home.
- Dressing materials should be properly disposed and equipment needs to be removed properly.
- Dressing-type needs to be recorded in files so that they can be included within medical-reports of the patient.
Nowadays, wounds can be easily dressed at home as well if necessary equipment is present. Best dressing techniques need to be implied so that the wounds can be dressed in a protective manner. DIY dressing is nothing but one of the most prominent aspects of home health care these days.