If you want to make money advertising products and services on the World Wide Web, you must have a regular appearance and sense of the pages that incorporate your net website builder. Dreamweaver templates make this easy. Dreamweaver templates relieve you of a good deal of the tedious activity of editing man or woman internet pages. You create the template one time and then use it on website builder pages in your website online. If you need to make adjustments modify, you can lead them to to the template and they may be robotically implemented to all of the pages which can be based totally on your template.
Using Templates is a two-step process:
2. Instantiate the template into one or greater real net files.
So when must you use a template? How do you create it? How do you apply it? How do you are making adjustments to a template and replace the pages it applies to? The following sections will answer those questions.
When to Use a Template
Use a template every time you’ve got a set of pages that percentage a primary commonplace group of layout features, and nicely defined areas that need to be custom designed. For instance, you may use a template to outline a collection of pages with a three-column layout, a not unusual historical website builder past color, and a common menu bar on the top of the page, in all likelihood not unusual hyperlinks on each facets of the page, and best the middle column of the web page left available for customization.
How to Create a Template
Dreamweaver gives you methods to create a template. However, this newsletter discusses only the second approach. The methods are:
1. Click the File menu, then click New.
2. A “New Document” dialog field will pop up. In the left column (the Category column) of the conversation box, pick out the Template web page, and inside the right column (the Template column), choose “HTML template”. Click the Create button in the lower-right nook of the dialog field.
The template is created. Now save the template as follows:
1. Click the File menu, then click Save.
2. You may additionally get a Dreamweaver message complaining that the template has no editable regions. Ignore it, and click OK.
Three. Now a “Save as Template” container will pop up. Type the name you need for the template in the bottom entry area that’s categorized “Save as.”
Dreamweaver will routinely create a Templates folder and save the template to it. The template may have a “.Dwt” report extension.
Populate the Template
To populate a simple Dreamweaver template, follow these steps:
1. Add content
2. Mark content as editable where relevant
A detailed description of those two steps follows:
Adding content to a Dreamweaver template is the same as including content material to any other page — besides . . . You should think carefully that your content will be replicated on all instance pages based on your template.
As an example, you might do a desk-based totally 3 column format, in which the primary row of the table is simply one cell containing a photo, and the second row of the desk includes 3 cells — hyperlinks at the left, hyperlinks on the right, and an editable location inside the middle.
You create the desk, after which upload the pinnacle photograph and the hyperlinks as you typically would. This leaves the simplest center cellular of the second row of the desk to be marked as editable. Do this as follows:
1. Select the middle cell of the second row of the table.
2. On the “Common” Bar, click on the Templates popup menu, then click the Editable Region command.
Three. A “New Editable Region” conversation window ought to pop up. Type a name (as an example “Content1”) into the “name” textual content container, then click OK.
Now the template has an editable area. Save it.
Create a Page Based on the Template
This is wherein you get a return at the paintings you did growing your template. The following steps describe a way to create a web page based totally on a template.
1. Click the File menu, then click on New.
2. A “New Document” conversation box will pop up. Select the “Templates” tab at the top of the conversation box.
3. Now, there must be two columns at the top of the “Templates” tab in the dialog box. The first column is categorized “Templates for:” and the second column is categorized “Site [site name].” In the first column, pick your site, then select your template within the second column.
4. Select “Update web page when template adjustments” inside the lower proper nook of the tab.
5. Now click on Create in the lower right corner of the tab.
6. A new untitled page must now have been created. Save the web page, giving it the name you want.
Now you can make changes in any of the editable regions of the brand new web page. Making changes is very simple because Dreamweaver will only let you edit areas of the web page that had been described as editable within the original template. If you attempt to edit anywhere else, the enhancing cursor will grow to be a touch circle with a slash thru it and you can’t edit or delete something. When you are carried out customizing the web page, keep it. If you’re making any adjustments to the destiny template, they’ll be routinely added to the web page you created.
If you would really like to recognize greater of the below-the-hood mechanics of the way Dreamweaver implements templates, see my article “How Dreamweaver Templates Work.”